Where I've been so far....

Monday, January 21, 2008

Decision Time

Ok, I know it's been a while since my first post. I promise to be better about that! But, just because I haven't posted anything doesn't mean I haven't done any research or planning. The toughest part about planning this adventure so far has been deciding where to start. That and narrowing down my "wish list" into something manageable and organized. I'm having no problem whatsoever deciding where I want to go - that list seems endless and gets longer every day! Every time I hear or read about a new location, my first response is, "I have to go there, how can I fit that into my trip?"

Well, I think I've finally made the first decision. I'm going to start in Belize or Costa Rica, then venture to Panama, Peru, Brazil and Argentina........ and maybe Bolivia and Chile. I've always wanted to go to Patagonia - maybe that has something to do with the fact that Patagonia was the most popular clothing brand when I was in college (brand name recognition at its best!). See what I mean about narrowing down? From there, I plan to fly to Europe - hopefully around mid September. So, the question is, can I do everything I want to in Central and South America in a month and a half? I guess we'll see.

One thing I have to try not to do is to plan on so many destinations that I don't truly enjoy and absorb the culture of each destination. I recently came across a quote that sums up my view of this trip - "The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes "sight-seeing."-Daniel J. Boorstin


No comments: